[Dixielandjazz] Louis and Keeley

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jan 30 12:28:22 PST 2007

The rap on Sam Butera, leading to the Prima band....Sam was well
respected even as a teenager, when he was part of a N.O. band that won
the national LOOK magazine contest for teen bands in 1945 or 46. He won
the top instrumentalist award, and Al Belletto was also named as
outstanding.

Later, Sam was playing good bop sets in obscurity around the Quarter
when Joe Delaney saw his talents and took him to hear some New York
blues groups like Sam Cooke that knew how to build an entertaining set
for maximum audience reaction. Sam returned to the city to form the
Witnesses (with versatile jazz-influenced players like Dick Johnson,
drums, and Sam’s front-line partner Jimmy Blount, trombone). I heard
them at the Safari Room, where they drew huge crowds and had a radio
show. Sam had a hit record, “Chicken Scratch.” Sam had left modern jazz
but his solos were still beautifully constructed and the band swung on
jump tempos and played great ballads.

The Dixieland/early jazz postwar revival in N.O. had faded by 1953. Sam
and innovators like Fats Domino, Roy Brown, and Roy Price were bringing
in the then-new wave of R&B.  Prima heard the band (maybe via Delaney,
I’m not sure) and knew it had the right kind of energy for his evolving
act with Keeley, and rest is history.

Charlie Suhor