[Dixielandjazz] FW: EXTRA-special treat: Russ Columbo's first film appearance, 1929 (10-minute video)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 27 16:05:17 PST 2007

Dear Steve,
The YouTube link below (from Denis King and the Australian Dance Bands list)
will take you to a great 1929 Vitaphone short of "Gus Arnheim and his
Ambassadors". featuring Russ Columbo!
Watch it all, for they finish with a spirited ³Tiger Rag².
I call this music ŒHot Dance' a term coined, by my friend English
discographer Brian Rust, in the 1970s.
However, if you want to call it ŒCartoon Music¹, that¹s Okeh with me
Just kidding.    8>)
The hot trumpet player would be New Orleansian Ray Lopez. The slap-bass
player, doubling tuba, is most certainly Ward Lay. (I recall a 1930s
photograph of him playing with Eddie Condon. But where was it?)
Kind regards,
Bill.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P6yAN7_5RhA