[Dixielandjazz] Hopefully the last on Al Hirt

Bob Cassady bcassady at booze-bros.com
Sat Jan 27 15:30:47 PST 2007

As a retired trumpeter who idolized Al and his OKOM work, I was miffed at
the Ed Souchon/Al Rose belittling description of him as a "technique player"
in their "New Orleans Jazz - A Family Album". I just attributed it to sour
grapes and went on. Now it rises again - probably by some little copy editor
who doesn't know A-440 from his elbow.

True - there were times when Al's showboating was annoying - but there were
times when his virtuosity was compellingly brilliant. I would listen to some
of those passages over and over, just to figure out those notes - some came,
and some didn't.

I never played with the man, but I saw him many times and met him a few...he
was genuine.

I have a suspicion that the denial of being a "jazz musician" was initially
predicated by people wanting to make money off him. One cannot sell songs
like "Cotton Candy" to teens in the 60's by being a "jazz musician". RCA was
notorious for "owning" their artists at that time - either by contract or
intimidation. This is purely speculation, however...

I disagree with the person who said Al was the greatest trumpeter of all
time, but after Louis - he has a chance in the voting.

Two-cents for your thoughts...

PS - We have a ton of Al stuff for those of you who want to formulate
opinions at http://www.booze-bros.com/music.html

Have fun!