[Dixielandjazz] Wynton Marsalis' first trumpet - was- Hirt's Haydn Concerto

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 18:37:50 PST 2007

Dan Augustine <ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu> wrote about Hirt

> Don't bother.  I've got an old LP of him playing the Haydn
> trumpet concerto with (as i recall) the Boston Pops, and he plays the
> notes, but his classical style is terrible.  Maurice Andre he ain't,
> and Wynton Marsalis is ten times better at classical stuff (but still
> no Maurice Andre).

Here is a item about Hirt & Wynton. Wynton was then 6 years old. Do we
suppose that some of Wynton's jazz technique was influenced by Hirt?

"Hirt is also credited with introducing the best known of the current
generation of American jazz musicians, Wynton Marsalis, to the trumpet.
Marsalis recalled that Hirt gave him his first instrument as a youngster
while sitting in his club with two more famous trumpeters, Clark Terry and
Miles Davis (his father, pianist Ellis Marsalis, was playing in Hirt's band
at the time). Wynton also recalled that Miles advised him against taking the
gift, saying that trumpet was too difficult an instrument to learn."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone