[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt - Bio - "Jazz Musician or Pop Player?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 16:49:29 PST 2007

on 1/24/07 4:56 PM, glen page at gpage at dccnet.com wrote:

> Steve,
> To quote you " taking things out of context...." and by modifying the intent
> a little I would like to take you to task for stating that that the Ava
> Maria for the Pope was his most important work.
>
> The passage that you posted showed that Al regarded it as "one of his most
> important works"
>
> I am sure that you, as a former lawyer would not hesitate to point out this
> difference before the Bench.
>
> Normally I would ignore this error but as a number of posters have been so
> picky in their responses I felt that I was obliged to point out that all you
> read on DJML is not necessarily accurate.
>
> Despite Bob Ringwald's earlier comments it must be time for an end to this
> dialogue.

Your point is well taken Glen, there are indeed differences in that
particular bio and what I said in the lead in.

Since I am a former lawyer I beg your indulgence to respond. The following
quote appears in another of Hirt's biographies:

"In 1987, he performed a solo trumpet rendition of Ava Maria for Pope John
Paul II who visited New Orleans. He considered this honor the zenith of his
career."

I agree that all we read on the DJML is not necessarily accurate, and expand
that to opine that not all we read or hear anywhere is necessarily accurate.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone