[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt Describing His Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 08:46:52 PST 2007

Well put Lewis.

Like Kenny Davern always said about trying to define "jazz".

"It's like asking 10 different people to describe what God looks like. You
get 10 different answers."

Any discussion of what jazz is, or isn't, or who plays it and who doesn't,
goes around in circles to the point where there are no answers but those of
Louis Armstrong's.

"If you have to ask, you'll never know."

or

"Jazz is what YOU are."

For any of us to define what jazz is, or is not, as a generality is
pointless. Our concepts of jazz depend upon our personal make-up and our
ears, which are personal filters to our minds.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone