[Dixielandjazz] FW: Al Hirt Describing His Music

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jan 24 07:58:37 PST 2007

---start snip
Although Hirt came out of New Orleans leading a Dixieland band, he never let
himself get stereotyped in that narrow genre.
---end snip

Steve added:
In that vein, Anne Davison once said to me: "Many people think of Bill as a
'Dixielander'. They are ignorant, He is so much more than that."
One never knows, do one?

I add:
Both phrases knock our kind of jazz, one says it is a "narrow genre", and
the other uses Dixielander as a bad word, practically.

Is it narrow?  If you make it.
Is it a bad word?  If you insist on dumping all the garbage that is
sometimes applied to the word (normally by Americans).

Jim