[Dixielandjazz] What carnage! What confusion!

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Tue Jan 23 20:23:59 PST 2007

Gosh!  It¹s plain to see that the DJML is nothing if not a hotbed of
dissent...but from what?  Pick any five regulars on this list and you¹ll
find at least six opinions staunchly advocated.  In the couple of months
since I became aware of this forum the debate has veered from fixation on
the musical merits (or not) of Woody Allen, to fixation on what killed trad
jazz (in the USA that is) or not, and now to a ferocious fixation on the
question of whether cartoon music that sounds like jazz actually IS jazz.
(Oooooo, that wascally Waymond Scott and his Fellow Travelers...)  How you
greybeards who still gig regularly after 60 years with a horn in your mouth
AND find time to do the OKOM festival circuit can muster the energy to keep
contributing to this ³black hole² of controversy (everything goes in,
nothing comes out) beats the hell out of me.

I¹m going back to the woodshed and continue my search for the lost chord.

David Dustin