[Dixielandjazz] McQuaid's Rhythmakers/cartoons

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Jan 23 19:53:57 PST 2007

As a devotee of 20s large/chart-reading band music, and collector of
recreation band CDs, I think of the music as being in 2 basic categories:
1. 20s dance orchestras (ie commercial)
2. [20s] "Hot dance" orchestras (ie jazz oriented)
   This category has a sub-category, jazz orchestras, where danceability,
at least re many of the records, doesn't seem to be an aim.
Like the categories of dixieland-style jazz, the boundaries are fuzzy, but
they serve adequately to help me sort out my CDs.

One reason for the fuzziness is that commercial bands often recorded jazz
tunes, sometimes at hot tempos and even with solos. I think this reflects
the popularity of jazz as a commercial music.

When I had my 20s-early 30s reading band, the categories helped me decide
on the band's basic direction, to wit I decided to go commercial and play
pop tunes, some familiar, some less so, because I thought they'd sell
better than the hot dance approach. I did include some jazzy charts like
"Davenport blues", "Bugle call rag".

Most of the recreation bands seem to emphasize hot jazz, with a few nods
to the commercial.

The early 30s repertoire is a different topic.

--Sheik