[Dixielandjazz] polishing

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 22 12:27:03 PST 2007

Jim, how large is your barrel.

  Scotch gets seasoned in either a tun or a butt. of several hundred liters. The tun at 252 wine gallons and a butt at abouit half, 105 wine gallons.

  Purchasing a butt or tun would break me.

  One 750 ml at a time, on special.

  Slainte

  Ye Olde Mouldy Fygge

  Ed Coltrin

Jim Kashishian <jim at kashprod.com> wrote:
  Interesting to see that others have noticed the sometimes delay in messages
on DJML. Also interesting to see how many caught on to the "polishing off"
thing! I didn't mean to make a pun, but it's great fun to see how others
see a meaningless phrase, turning it into something else. Guess that's sort
of what we do when we're improvising, isn't it?

Wine! I buy by the barrel's worth (300 bottles) when it is still on the
vine. I get my purchased wine (I pay down 2/3 of total price at start) 5
yrs later, after it has lived in various types (American & French oak, old &
new) of barrels for about 18 months. The rest of the time, it is in the
vineyard cellars bottled. After 5 yrs it is classified as a Reserve
(Reserva). It is a wine that is not sold in the shops. I share half the
barrel with a friend, and store my 150 bottles in a special wine 'fridge',
which is dark, without vibrations, and at a steady 14º C. Next batch comes
to me in March of 2008. I'm still drinking my 2001 wine at the moment.
It's customary to have a bottle with one's meal here.

Jim