[Dixielandjazz] Amplifier recommendations fordigital keyboard?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jan 23 11:27:48 PST 2007

You might look at one of the 15" JBL EON powered speakers. (@40 lbs) This is
a real kick in the pants and can be used as a PA with a cheap mixer.  Look
at any of the other powered speakers that are out there.  I am partial to
the 15" but JBL and others also have 12" powered monitors.

If you want to go with a regular PA go with a Gig Rack.  There are several
sizes starting at about $300.  This amp weighs 23 pounds and has a shoulder
strap and fiberglass case.  Very rugged with 6 mike inputs at 300 watts.
For speakers you can get Peavy PR NEO 12" speakers for @$169.  They are
ultra light. I weighed mine and it was 24 pounds.  Even the 15" cabinet can
be lifted above your head and I'm no weight lifter.  That's important if you
put them on stands.  They have a ABS plastic case and are very rugged.
These speakers are something new so may not be available locally.

www.musiciansfriend.com  has the Gig Rack.  They come in 3 sizes starting at
300, 600 and 1000 watts. They also have a bunch of goodies on them.    The
basic unit is about $250.  The basic unit doesn't have a separate monitor
amp.  The 600 watt is actually 2, 300 watt amps.  One for the main and the
other for the monitors. I have the middle one and I got it with 2 mikes on a
special for $300 from Guitar Center here in St. Louis.  I think they may be
owned by Musicians Friend.   Their prices generally are the same.  They have
reviews on line by users of this equipment.  They also have the operations
manuals too for most of their stuff.  Sometimes they are helpful.  While all
together they are not lighter than a powered monitor but individually they
are.  I would rather lift a 24 pound item twice than one 43 lb item once.

There is also several Combo Amps on the market.  One of the guys I gig with
has a Yamaha amp that is small and compact with a big sound.  Be sure to try
them out.  A lot of these look good but really aren't what you need if you
play a big room or outdoors.  They aren't particularly light either.   My
cornet player has one that looks great but has a very cheap 10" speaker.  We
use it as a practice amp for the vocalist.  Anything else just doesn't make
it.

I would suggest you look at some of the powered monitors because they have
lots of power and you can get an inexpensive mixer for less than $70 that
will turn it into a full fledged pa system if you need it.  They have them
in 12" but they haven't the clout that the 15's have.  I can run a bass
through mine.

My EON's cost $750 each several years ago.  I don't think they sell the ones
with the EQ and multiple inputs anymore.  The only negative side to the EON
is that they are odd shaped and hard to carry or sit on a cart but oh boy do
they sound good.  I use two of them for Stereo output from my computer or if
the room is small I just use one.
Larry
St. Louis