[Dixielandjazz] IAJE - TJEN - Some thoughts.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jan 21 12:09:24 PST 2007

> Mike (who wonders why music colleges even bother with some gene
> types.)

As long as you can pass the required state
> exams and have at least a 'B' average in your music courses
> you'll probably be hired as a teacher.

Wow - I can believe it - My teaching certificate reads High school
instrumental and VOCAL as well as K-8.  I turned down what would have been a
very good job because it had a string program and I turned down several that
were half and half instrumental and vocal.

Not only do I never want to teach vocal or strings but I would be
incompetent at it .  Just because  a teacher has those credentials doesn't
mean he should ever teach them**.  I have turned down more than one job
because I just didn't want to be incompetent at anything.  I did have to
teach a 7th and 8th grade vocal music class one year because the vocal guy
refused to do it.  Sorry to say that was the lowest point of my entire
career.  I was terrible at it and never should have let him foist it on me.

**I played in the orchestra and have a 3 hour class in strings.  I got 6 F's
(still on my transcript) in Choir because I thought the teacher was a fag
and I didn't want to be in the choir doing the music they did so he gave me
F's for 3 years.  I finally cleaned up my act and got in the required 1 year
in choir for the degree requirements.  For that and after never having a
private voice lesson or class in voice they gave me a K-12 vocal music
endorsement.  Think about it, I could actually be a vocal teacher today in
the public schools.
Larry
St. Louis