[Dixielandjazz] Free Gigs

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jan 18 08:39:08 PST 2007

Most recently we played Free in Hospitals and small Assisted Living and/or
Hospice Facilities during the Christmas Season. We don't feel used, we feel
blessed.
Steve Barbone

You're mixing two themes into one here, Steve.  I said a musician would be
"used" when he is attracted by a commercial venture that wants the musician
to pay for the right to perform.  Playing charity gigs is another thing
altogether, and has nothing whatsoever to do with my original question.

My original question was, why the turnaround?  A year ago or so, it was a
sin to go out & play a friendly lunch gig (that apparently is some kind of
tradition there), when there is now the suggestion that going out & paying
someone to play is a good idea!  And, I understood that the luncheon place
in question is one where lots of people in the entertainment business come
for a quick bite.  Could be wrong, but that is what I recall, so the desired
"exposure" was a valid point.  And, at least they weren't paying to play.

Perhaps I shouldn't have muddied the waters with something so very much in
the past, and I still say "someone is going to make a lot of money from all
those poor wannabees honking their heads off all day/night!"  They ain't
getting my money.

Jim