[Dixielandjazz] Free Gigs

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 07:41:50 PST 2007

I'm with Tom on this one.

Here in the Land of the Big PX (USA) we have countless Dixieland Bands
screwing up the professional market for music by playing gigs free in venues
that should pay for music.

The situation in California with playing for tips, was not a venue where
movie producers, agency types showed up etc. It was a venue where regular
folks came to eat a very reasonably priced lunch and enjoy the free music.
Tom and I suggested a minimal cover, say $5, equal to a reasonable tip, that
would guarantee the band some wages, rather than hustling for tips. By
playing free, the band promoted the restaurant, not itself. In effect it was
harming the market for music by performing free on a regular basis.

The Austin event is is according to its description one big party. Lots of
young people., bar hopping etc. It will not harm the market to play there
free because 150 other bands will be playing there free. Any local OKOM band
in Austin having at the moment, no young audience, would be foolish to
ignore this event. It is a huge opportunity to gain such a local audience,
if the music is played and marketed properly.

Here in the USA, we do not do enough of that and have virtually no Young
audience except for a few Bands around which actively go after the kids.

Heck, as much as I personally hate to play free, there are occasions where I
do so. And even some where I pay sidemen out of my own pocket because I
don't want them to play for nothing. I, like Tom, keep a "Band Fund" for
such times. That's where some of my leader fee goes.

Most recently we played Free in Hospitals and small Assisted Living and/or
Hospice Facilities during the Christmas Season. To groups as small as 10
people. Charity situations where there is no such thing as an entertainment
budget. Some where I paid the sidemen and some where we all donated.

To me, those are an obligatory part of life and certainly exceptions to my
personal "no free gigs" rule. I reserve most of November and December for
them. Anyone who plays them knows how much the down and outers appreciate
such efforts. We don't feel used, we feel blessed.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone