[Dixielandjazz] FW: RedGorilla Music Fest seeks bands - Austin TX

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Jan 17 15:34:58 PST 2007

Hi Jim:

Under normal working conditions and situations yes  however this is an
example of how Bands are promoting themselves to bigger and wider genre
music markets, if you wish to do that ant not all bands especially OKOM
bands want to.

However since it has slipped so far down the ladder in recognition, it
certainly could not and would not hurt the giging situation one iota if
some really good OKOM bands actually did sign up and go there and play
some kick ass OKOM and show the kids that there is more to music than
Heavy metal and grunge rock.

Like Steve, if this event were in My city especially knowing how big it
is and how many thousands and thousands of people attend it ant the
adjacent SXSW festival I would go  and probably sell ten thousand
dollars worth of Cds in two or three days.

This is a marketing and promotional type event for bands that are
serious about touring and making a living from nothing but music.   If
more OKIOM bands would get out and do this we might make some headway
back up the ladder and create more gigs that paid well too.

This is a Hell of a lot more beneficial than hanging out at a Trad.
Jazz society all day buying booze and waiting for a chance to play one
or two numbers in a jam session.   Not to mention the educational
benefits it would have on the younger audiences attending the event.

There are always exceptions to all our hard fast rules.   Understanding
the enormous Publicity and promotional and advertising benefits of an
event like this goes a long ways to helping a band , Any Band in any
genre get paid work.

A band will never get bigger and more popular playing to the same
audience one SUNDAY A MONTH FOR THIRTY YEARS, especially when you live
in an area with 300 competing bands for the same 20 gigs a month.
Which is why I don't bother, I go create my own marketplace and
audiences outside the OKOM circuit which is already glutted with bands
playing to the same ever dwindling audience at each event.

I do not subscribe to Pay to Play in relation to a Real Gig,  this is
not a real Gig this is an advertising and Promotional situation or MASS
Audtition as they used to be  sanctioned and called by the old
Musicians Union.

Better to spend your own money a little of it and go play in front of
several thousand potential bookers and buyers than doing it  once a
week to a jive club owner to get a one night a month gig for chump
change.   If your Hot your Hot and if you kick some musical ass good
things will happen and you will turn the event into good money.  If you
suck well back to the same old pizza parlor.   These events are not for
the weak at heart or unsure of themselves bands without a real business
plan for career advancement.

Again I respectfully and enviously reiterate that you and your great
band live and operate in a different world, albeit a good one.

Cheers,

Tom