[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: IAJE

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Jan 17 13:30:37 PST 2007

Hi folks:

The link provided below will tell you everything you wanted or didn't
want to know about the IAJE Conference :))

Tom Wiggins

My Trumpet player also ran the Dance on Friday night, and since we know
that most Musicians are musos not Dancers, it is probably pretty safe
to assume that it was not a sellout either.    Especially if it had any
competition from any other Name Celebrity event which it did, several
of them.  I would like to get his report on it, but since he would
certainly not want anyone to think that his Important role in the
Conference was less than a rounding success I doubt I will hear
anything expect glowing remarks about how great it was.

I asked my young friend if he even attended the Traditional Jazz Panel
or even knew it was there below his reply.

     re: traditional jazz panel

  Good questions, Tom.  I actually didn't get to the traditional jazz
panel.  I didn't get to a lot of the panels I would have liked to.
There was SO MUCH going on, and I was totally impressed at how well
attended every session was.  Just take a look at the schedule:

 http://www.iaje.org/iaje.aspx?pid=27

http://www.iaje.org/iaje.aspx?pid=27

  On Friday and Saturday, Patrick spent most of our time speaking to
artists at the exhibit hall, so we were there for most of the time
between 10am and 5pm.

**  As in being groupies and in trying to meet famous Jazz Musicians.
:))

  What kind of thoughts have you heard about the traditional jazz
panels.  I can tell you that I thought I saw an interesting mix of
sounds there, especially since French jazz was a big focus this year.
I heard some cool gospel and funk (they were among the fun
hotel-lobby-bar groups), but then Oscar, who I mentioned before, had a
very traditional and totally beautiful sound to his new piece that he
commissioned for.

  If you mean jazz standards, I think that's another issue all
together.  A lot of artists we met perform standards (or some), but a
lot were also all (or most) original-music performers.

 Benjy