[Dixielandjazz] cartoon music"

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Jan 17 11:30:06 PST 2007

At present I play off an on with three Mickey bands.  If you get even a
little off the section just doesn't work.  Everything is very precise.  I
have pretty much made the decision to not play with these groups because it
requires very good and precise reading skills.  Alas mine are up and down
and it makes me nervous and it's too much like work.  I prefer working from
a fake book much more than heavy reading gigs.  This is why I never play
lead alto in big bands.  I have a friend in the AF band who has way above
average reading and technical ability with great sound but his jazz solos
always seem staged and stiff.  I also know another guy in the same band that
can blow away almost anyone in both areas.

If you had a ruler (disregarding technical ability) that had  Jazzers who
couldn't read at the zero end and  readers who couldn't fake at the 12 inch
mark with people who did both equally well where would you fit?  I think I
would be at about the  four inch mark.

I got a good laugh the other day.  I checked into the web site for a local
radio station that has a Jazz hall of fame.  One of the big bands had their
entire lineup on the list.  Virtually everyone in that group wouldn't know a
jazz solo from selling shoes.  They mostly fit on the 11 and 12 inch mark
with a couple at around the 7 or 8 inch mark.

There are two distinct skills required and I'm not convinced that very many
musicians are good at both.  Expert reading skill almost precludes
improvisational skills.  I know that's not a fast rule but it just seems to
work out that way.  It may have more to do with the ability to focus on
drills and precision as versus relaxed and laid back.  It may have more to
do with a person's general attitude toward life in general than left right
brain thinking.

Food for thought.  I have noticed that really good readers I know TEND to be
of differing political parties than jazzers.  It would be interesting if a
scientific survey could be conducted to see if there is any truth to that.
I wonder if that has a bearing on who musicians elect to office in their
unions.  Cities that have a strong Symphony orchestra might be expected to
elect non jazzers whereas some place that has a lot of jazzers might be
expected to elect their own kind.  Are good readers more religious than
jazzers?  How about being more or less patriotic?  Left or right handed?
Divorces?  Sex?  There are a zillion different things that might be
interesting to ask.

I think that there are a lot more differences between people who improvise
well and don't read well and those who read well and don't improvise than
you think.  Hey students that would make a great Doctoral.
Larry
St. Louis