[Dixielandjazz] "cartoon" music

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Wed Jan 17 08:31:32 PST 2007

Stan Brager wrote:
> Paul;
>
> Raymond Scott wrote "serious" music for his sextette and big band. It was
> not "cartoon" music. However, Call Stallings used many of Scott's themes and
> arrangements as the music director for many of Warner Brothers' "Loony
> Tunes" cartoons. Stallings also used snippets of themes and arrangements by
> other composers as well his own writing.
>
> Among my favorite Scott compositions are "Twilight In Turkey", "Powerhouse",
> "Huckleberry Duck", "In an eighteenth Century Drawing Room", "The Toy
> Trumpet" and "Christmas Night In Harlem".
>
> Scott wrote music for commercials, Music for Babies (a series of pieces to
> enhance the life experiences of babies) and experimental music for
> electronic instruments of his own design (he was a contemporary of Robert
> Moog).
>
> Stan
> Stan Brager

An additional bit of trivia. Scott was te brother of leader/conductor of
the "Hit Parade" radio sjo as Mark Warner or Warno (sp?)
The drummer with the Scott group was John Williams, and his sonis the
John Willaims, composer of suchfilm socres as Star Wars, Et. Jaws. etc.
(A high school jazz band mate of mine  and the late drummer Gene Estes).
Lots of links inthis business, and many examples of father/son examples.
Stew Pletcher, tumpeter with Norvo and Tom Pletcher, Bixian cornetist of
today, Perry Botkin, guitarist to Perry Botkin jr. film scorer, etc.
etc. Even I got in the act.
Don Ingle