[Dixielandjazz] "cartoon" music

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Wed Jan 17 08:18:02 PST 2007

Bill Haesler wrote:
>> I don't see anything pejorative about the term "cartoon" music<
>>

> Dear Paul,
> I do.
> Perhaps that is the problem.
> But then me ole mate Tommy Wiggins has said publicly (but later clarified)
> that we foreigners are culturally about 30 years behind the US.
> 8>)
> I agree with you that the Raymond Scott sextet that would probably qualify
> as OKOM. I have some of his late 30s recordings to prove it.
> However, so far as proper cartoon music was concerned:
> "Though commonly believed to be a cartoon music composer, in fact Scott
> never wrote a note for a cartoon in his life. According to his wife, not
> only did he not compose for cartoons, he didn't even watch them. His
> historical and inadvertent renown as "the man who made cartoons swing" began
> in 1943 when Scott sold his music publishing to Warner Brothers. Carl
> Stalling, music director for Warner's Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, was
> allowed to adapt anything in the Warner music catalog, and immediately began
> peppering his scores with Scott quotes. Besides being used in Looney Tunes
> and Merrie Melodies, Scott's tunes have been licensed to propel the hijinks
> of The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy, Animaniacs, The Oblongs, Batfink, and
> Duckman cartoons. "Powerhouse" was quoted ten times in the 2003 full-length
> WB feature Looney Tunes: Back in Action."
> [From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

A little trivia to add to the "cartoon" music thread. One of the Jean
Godkette units in Detroit which my dad worked with was led by Cahrles
Wolcott.  He later ended up in L.A. at Disney Studios where he composed
and conducted "cartoon music" for real. Since the many Godkette units
often had members frmthe Graystone "Victor" band workingin the various
units, including Walter Hunt (Pee Wee), Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey, Steve
Brown and others, Bix included,  you mgiht say that some "cartoon" music
was an extenstion of the Bix era legend. And oh yeah, even in Detriot
Charles Wolcott was simply "check" to the fellow musical merry makers.
Don Ingle