[Dixielandjazz] 'Cartoon Music'

Ron Wheeler ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 17 06:33:27 PST 2007

For all that is being made of 'cartoon music' and its demeaning OKOM
connotations, I'm surprised that there's been no mention of the volumes of
cartoons that have made use of classical music.  That being said, is there
anyone here who disdains Peer Gynt, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Poet &
Peasant, Light Cavalry, The Hungarian Rhapsody, The Rumanian Rhapsody, ad
infinitum, as nothing but mere 'cartoon music'?

Does the use of a piece of music in light entertainment cheapen the music
itself, or does it just broaden the audience who might otherwise not toddle
off to the old concert hall [or jazz joint, for that matter] to hear it?
I've come to appreciate a lot of classical music that I was first exposed to
by Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck & company.  If others can come to enjoy OKOM by a
similar experience, I see nothing but good coming from that.

Ron [don't EVEN get me started on The William Tell Overture!] Wheeler