[Dixielandjazz] Porte ñ a Jazz Band/"cartoon music"

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jan 17 00:04:21 PST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Scott Anthony wrote:
> I'm really sorry, but I don't understand this whole "cartoon" label
> being placed on this band. It makes it sound like you guys are saying
> that any band that use charts cannot be considered a jazz band...
> ...Turk had tight ensemble arrangements but I doubt many people would
> have considered him playing cartoon music.
>
> Scott Anthony

It's not the fact that bands play or don't play charts that make their
music jazz, near-jazz, or non-jazz. I think it's two things that make
the difference--the conception of the players of the charts, and the
lines of the music itself.

The ensemble work of the Basie band (and countless others, including
earlier jazz bands) is played with a jazz conception, whereas the same
charts played by a beginner's high school band will typically miss the
mark and it will sound like football field music. (Many players have
mastered the art of playing hip charts with a jazz conception but can't
improvise. I don't think they call themselves jazz musicians even
though they can swing their butts off in the section.)

If the lines of the chart itself are, for instance, ragtimey and they
call for choppy articulation, that's another performance that's less
jazz-like, even (or especially) when played precisely.

Good jazz improvisers who are good readers don't stop being jazzers
when playing in a big band section, or even when playing in
Mickey/cartoon/corn/call-it-what-you will music. But they know that
different demands are made on them in all of these contexts. Mixtures
of musics aren't uncommon, of course, as when there are solo choruses
in mouse bands that give some space for improvisation.  This happened a
lot with bands in the 20s and 30s. But the mixing doesn't totally blur
the genres, and the players I know and use different terms to describe
musics that are dramatically different, like the music of the Porte n a
Band and a Preservation Hall unit, or a smooth jazz performance and
Sonny Rollins, etc.

It's can all be good music that's fit for different contexts, so
there's no harm, no foul if we try to sort it out in the available
language. Trouble is. we've inherited some loaded language for certain
musics, and we either have to invent new terms or use the old ones
without prejudice.

Charlie Suhor