[Dixielandjazz] Porte ñ a Jazz Band/"cartoon music"

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 16 16:40:34 PST 2007

I'm really sorry, but I don't understand this whole "cartoon" label being
placed on this band. It makes it sound like you guys are saying that any
band that use charts cannot be considered a jazz band.

I think this band has incredible feel for the music and it sounds to me like
they are having a really good time. When I played the mp3s on their site,
the first thing I thought was, "Boy, this is great band" and started
bouncing in my seat. They remind me of Paramount, Black Swan, the West End
Jazz Band out of Chicago, and other really tight, extremely talented
players. They could very well be improvising in places.

Turk had tight ensemble arrangements but I doubt many people would have
considered him playing cartoon music.

Scott Anthony