[Dixielandjazz] Phil Zito

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jan 16 10:57:25 PST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Bob Loomis wrote:
> Bill Haesler wrote:
> "Herewith the details of the Phil Zito sides you
> are looking for ... (snip)"
>    Funny, just last night I was reading the
> opening chapter of Charlie Suhor's Jazz in New
> Orleans - The Postwar Years Through 1970." He
> mentions buying a "mix-and-match drum set" as a
> young student from Phil Zito and mentions
> parenthetically that Zito was "a true eccentric,
> I later learned." I haven't gotten to the place
> in the book where he explains this, but perhaps
> he will chime in here with further details.
>
> Bob Loomis
> Concord CA

Here's a bit more on Zito.  On pp. 130-131, I expand on
him--affectionately, as regards "the compulsive eagerness" of his
"run-on personalty." As regards his drumming, not so much. Essentially,
most of Zito's band--Fountain, Girard, Rotis, and Zimmerman--fired the
leader after the 1950 Columbia release and a gig at the El Morocco on
Bourbon Stree. They brought in Charlie Duke on drums and Bunny Frank on
bass, and became the Basin Street Six, most popular band in the local
revival. It was Zito, though, who had the insight to put together the
great front line and swinging pianist Roy Zimmerman. Interesting
aside--Phil's bassist, Emile Christian, was the oldster in the group.
He had replaced Eddie Edwards on trombone with the ODJB in 1919-21.
Bunny Frank was a "hotter" player but not a seasoned vet. Around that
time I was a sixteen year old drummer in Joe Helwick's weekend
Dixieland/dance combo, with Tom Brown playing bass and occasional
trombone.

Charlie Suhor