[Dixielandjazz] Porte ñ a Jazz Band (was Please don't Misunderstand)

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Jan 15 22:52:12 PST 2007

Hi my esteemed colleagues:

Steve will of course speak for himself and reply to this reply from a
list mate that I know is not only highly respected by Steve , myself
and probably everyone else on this list, a true treasure for all of us.

Bill, I would like to comment on at least My Opinion, of this
categorization of this fine band and your correct comment that they are
adored and admired in EUROPE AND AUSTRALIA.   Having toured Europe
extensively I can fully understand that and why.   Us yank's seem to
always be on a mission for the new and most exciting New thing, and
often throw away our greatest contributions to society and world
culture ( Jazz Music) considering much of it old hat.   This comes
primarily from being a Radio media driven society with the latest
greatest hit being whatever they want to foist upon us every day.

In many European countries the love of American Music seems to still be
about 30 years behind in general popularity ( which is not an insult to
our European friends at all, but a GOOD thing for American music and
TRADITIONAL JAZZ IN PARTICULAR.   Heck in this country we can't even
keep a Spouse long enough to grow old together ( well at least 50% of
us ).   We live unfortunately in a throw away society, now slowly
turning into a recycling society ( hopefully we will soon recycle OKOM
)  which some of us are trying to do.   we now must pay $33.00 for an
import or out of print USA recordings of artists that were thrown out
with the trash here thirty to fifty years ago that we could have bought
here for $2.00   Hey in some places in South America a 1949 Chevy
pickup truck is still considered NEW.

It is the fact that many other non USA societies that tend to embrace
our music and hold it dear for a lot longer than we do at home, that
keeps it alive and give some of us career opportunities to go abroad
and play it where it is still respected and loved by the masses when
often we can't even Give it away for Free in the USA.

So I would venture to say that our colleague Steve meant no disrespect
to that fine Portuna Jazz band at all, just trying to put them into
perspective as to how things are in the USA the birthplace of the
music.   Which now prides itself on fine "Authentic Dixieland Trios",
and even Two & three piece marching bands in New Orleans.   Shame on us.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins