[Dixielandjazz] IAJE and Trad Jazz

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Jan 15 19:32:35 PST 2007

Hi Leslie:

Thanks for your participation in this event that has been FAR TOO LONG
OVERDUE as has been stated by myself and others on this list not  only
on this list where we immediately received hate mail for such blasphemy
against our Sacred Cow Educators.

Well now you have been there and heard it directly from a bigger and
perhaps better respected  "Professional Musician" Gordon Wycliffe, who
you report stated that :

"In terms of getting the message across: Wycliffe Gordon, a musician
who is
well regarded in the modern jazz world, was adamant in his support for
teaching
the fundamentals of classic jazz, and I believe his comments were
especially
effective. He made the point that jazz educators need to be educated
about
early jazz, a comment I agree with completely."

That is exactly what some of us on this fine list have been preaching
for several years now not only to this list but to the IAJE as well.
Usually falling upon deaf ears or at best indifferent ones.

Of course we are HAPPY TO SEE PROGRESS, but time will tell if it is
going to last long enough to get Traditional Jazz more than a token
presence in their association or being recognized as the new step child
because a few of them might see a chance to get a gig from OKOM.

Now if you want to start the ball rolling to educate or re-educate the
educators might I suggest that you encourage all of them that you met
and will meet to join this list where they will learn more about it
than they ever thought existed.

We do not want this music put away in the archives of the Smithsonian
Museum, we want it back as a viable vehicle of employment and
entertainment for working musicians all over the world with respectable
pay for respectable players.

Perhaps if more of the educators would actually learn and like to play
this music we might get off to a pretty good start.

Thank God Louis didn't do it their way:))

Cheers, and thanks for your report and participation.   Now get back to
work with the Miss. Rag and Give  'em Hell Kid.
The Trojan Horse got into the compound, now lets attack and take no
Prisoners.

Tom Wiggins