[Dixielandjazz] Phil Zito

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 15 16:43:29 PST 2007

Dear Matin,
Herewith the details of the Phil Zito sides you are looking for.
I do not think they have ever been reissued on CD.

Phil Zito and his New Orleans International City Dixielanders
George Girard, t; Joe Rotis, tb; Pete Fountain, cl; Roy Zimmerman, p; Emile
Christian, sb; Phil Zito, d.
New York, December 23, 1949

C042590    Bob Cats                                              Col 38752
C042591    Bye and Bye                                         Col 38753
CO42592    She'll Be Comin' 'round The Mountain  Col 38754
C042593    Clarinet Marmalade                              Col 38755
C042594    Tulane Swing                                                 -
C042595    Zito's Zag                                             Col 38754
C042596    Original Dixieland One-step                 Col 38753
C042597    Shine                                                   Col 38752
The above Columbia catalogue numbers are for the original 78s.
I do not have any reference to the 45s you mention, which would presumably
be singles.
Also on a Columbia LP CL6110

Something in the back of my brain tells me that this has been discussed
previously on the DJML
Google turned up the following from The New Orleans & Louisiana Music News
Archive
"New Orleans jazz loses long time supporter: noted Dixieland jazz drummer
and band leader Philip Anthony Zito passed away on August 2nd 1998 at the
age of 84; in 1935, Phil co-founded the Original Dixieland Jazz Band &
Foundation with Nick LaRocca (of ODJB fame); "Phil Zito's New Orleans
International City Dixielanders" featured the then "youngsters" Pete
Fountain and George Girard (who both went on to form the Basin Street Six in
the early 50's); our condolences go out to Phil's family and friends."
Kind regards,
Bill.