[Dixielandjazz] FW: Gretsch clarinets

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jan 14 11:26:14 PST 2007

For a lot of years the musical instrument manufacturers sold horns to
whomever and would engrave their name  or brand on the bell.  They were
called stencil horns.  I remember seeing Ludwig clarinets.  I presume that
they were sold by the Ludwig company that was here in St. Louis.

I think it would be very difficult to trace those horns to their
manufacturer,  I had never heard of Gretsch clarinets but that doesn't mean
that some company didn't have their name put on a horn.

Sears also had stencil horns - Trutone I think was the brand.
Larry