[Dixielandjazz] Defining jazz

Fred Hoeptner fredhep at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 13 13:42:57 PST 2007

In my opinion, musical styles are simply not subject to assignment of hard
and fast boundaries; instead, they are fuzzy.   A valid definition, say of
"trad jazz," must emphasize typical characteristics.  As a particular
example deviates away from these characteristics, at some point it no longer
should be called "trad jazz."  This point is not subject to objective
determination, but is more a matter of consensus among the knowledgeable
audience.

Although a recognition of the above may make the development of a definition
easier, truly the list of typical characteristics deviates with time.
Commercial interests were a usual culprit here.  For example, when ragtime
became faddish, publishers scurried to label their products "ragtime" no
matter the degree of syncopation that was present.

Message: 8