[Dixielandjazz] Sweet & quiet

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jan 12 09:05:50 PST 2007

Ted wrote that he prefers his Dixie loud, rather than "sweet & quiet".  That
came as a response to my mentioning a fancy hotel gig that we had for a few
years.

Well, Ted, it was just one nite a week, and it gave us a chance to try
different tunes & a bit different style.  I, too, prefer the heavy honking,
but I actually enjoy those sweet & quiet moments, also.  The band can all
here each other well, strange notes don't get hidden so easily, and you you
have to work a little harder at playing well!  That can be fun, and
rejuvenating.

If anyone is interested in seeing a picture of the room (really old style
European!), ask me for a copy.  Huge glass dome covers the whole hall, which
can be disastrous for any type of band.   Funny, 'cause as a band we had to
go in the kitchen entrance, although myself & my wife often go there for
drinks (& go in the front door, of course!).  Still get invited to free
drinks even though it's been a few yrs since we played there.

Jim