[Dixielandjazz] Was Jazz ever popular music?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jan 11 14:53:50 PST 2007

Rocky - As far as I can see nothing completely killed jazz because obviously
we still have it around in all it's forms but the listening public has
developed an ever changing and at a faster and faster paced taste for more
and different things.  In the 20's things went fairly slow and by ww2, radio
and more availability of recordings sped things up a bunch.  Enter a more
affluent teen age group.  The changes took place even faster.

While some things are not necessarily moving faster today the splinters of
each style are proliferating so fast that most people can't even keep up
with the names of them.  I think maybe the line was drawn when people
stopped naming dances in the 60's and 70's.

A case in point.  Early rock and roll such as Buddy Holly, Elvis and Bill
Haley bears almost no resemblance to today's rock except we still call it
rock.  I think early rock is alive and well we just call it Country and
Western.

Getting people out of their homes and away from TV is the hope of a large
segment of the entertainment industry today.  Did TV kill the movies?
Absolutely not but there aren't many theaters either.  Why go to the show
when you can see it on TV for free (??)  Why should you go to a venue to
hear a band when you can have them at their very best for the price of a CD.
You can also turn them off too if you only want to hear one track then
listen to another.  I can change tracks with just a touch on my IPOD so I
can channel surf even there.  It's a far cry to when you sat and listened to
a band for several hours.  I hate to say it but I don't want to listen to
anything for more than an hour or so.

TV stations and some cable channels are in trouble because someone invented
the clicker.  The American public has a collective case of ADHD.  They
demand ever faster, funnier, bloodier, newer, cheaper and I might add more
potty mouthed and vulgar entertainment.  Sounds a lot like the new music
too.
Larry