[Dixielandjazz] Was Jazz ever popular music?

Rocky Ball bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Thu Jan 11 14:14:34 PST 2007

Maybe I'm disagreeing with you, maybe not...

BUT

...the PBS Ken Burns' JAZZ series clearly notes that before the 1929
Stock Market crash JAZZ accounted for 70% of the profits of all
American Record Companies! I remember reading in one of the Louis
Armstrong biographies that Louis' record sales (actual platters, not
money!) were over a million and that was primarily sold through
grocery stores at a nickel a disk... all in the 20s and 30s. Burns
makes it clear in his research (and I have read it independently in
many places before and since JAZZ) that early Jazz (ESPECIALLY before
the Depression) WAS THE POP MUSIC (most popular music) of the day.
The country was in the infancy of disposable income in the 1920s (at
least until the Depression sidetracked that for 20 years) and
American YOUTH were leading the way in an unprecedented surge of self-
indulgence. Of course it would take another cycle of that in the
1950s for youth and their disposable income to usher in the
popularity of Rock n' Roll.

To me the evidence is clear that early JAZZ hit the country in 1926
the same way that early ROCK N ROLL did in 1956 and habits, social
mores and the music business were forever changed by it. Was Jazz
ever POPULAR MUSIC? YES! It was THE popular music of its day and the
repercussions of its innovations continued through the more
commercial swing era, Rock N Roll era and into popular music today.
The foreword to the Rolling Stone History of Rock N Roll cites Louis
Armstrong as the most influential musician that made Rock N Roll
possible! Ken Burns (and his celebrity contributors) affirm this
throughout the 10 part JAZZ series.

~Rocky Ball
Atlanta