[Dixielandjazz] What happened to Jazz?

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 10 13:07:51 PST 2007

Hi,
reference to my comment in a previous post that I thought we had more jazz
bands to the square mile than in the US.

I had the programme for the Bude Festival arrive today.  There are 90 bands
playing over 7 days in August..and giving 166 perfomances.  I have no idea
how that compares with your festivals.
The broadsheet says `blues to ragtime to mainstream and bop with an
especially rich choice of old style New Orleans and classic jazz`
Bands are from Hungary,Germany, Sweden, USA, Denmark, Holland. as well as
our homegrown ones.

In addition  there are 30 bands over 3 days at Whitley Bay in July..
 There are over 50 bands over 3 days in June at the Severn Festival,
including Chris Barber.
 14 bands over 4 days in Norfolk in March
5 Bands over 2 days in November.
One Hotel is advertising  4 weekends during April,May, October, November
with between 5 and 10 band s at each gig.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of festivals and in addition there
are clubs all over the UK putting on one night gigs at anything from one
night to 4 nights a month.

Jazz is dying?

Cheers

Pat