[Dixielandjazz] What happened to Jazz?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jan 10 09:38:36 PST 2007

In this interesting strand, I continue to find Steve's sense of the
history and  the times right on target.

One observation I haven't seen, though--the 20's were rightly called
"the Jazz Age," and the music of Louis, Bix, and others was a huge
force in jazz and popular music then, but it wasn't nearly as dominant
as jazz fans like to think. There were innumerable dance bands that
didn't improvise much or at all but played charts that sounded
basically like late ragtime or early Mickey. Some bands played the
charts and had jazzers doing solos--Ted Lewis, Paul Whiteman. Others
were strictly into the charts but gave work to jazz players (Cootie
Williams and Edmond Hall in Ross DeLuxe Syncopators). The are bands
that specialize in resurrecting these razzmatazz, Charleston-sounding,
whiney and by any account corny charts. I've heard those of Karl Koenig
and Jack Stewart (New Leviathan Fox Trot Orchestra). Jack has tellingly
joked that the band "revives music that isn't worth reviving." There
are some of the qualities of jazz in the music, but basically it's
rhythmic dance music without improv or loose, relaxed jazz phrasing.
 From a jazz point of view they're of historical interest, and you slap
your knee when you hear them, but they aren't the kind of music that
most of us would listen to for a long sitting or return to as we do to
the jazz that delivers continuous musical stimulation and joy.

Back to Steve's views. If you lived and played or at least were
listening closely through the transitional years in the U.S. from swing
onward (I'm 71 so I pass the old codger test), you'll recognize his
descriptions right away. Jazz historians who haven't lived the years
but researched them deeply support Steve's interpretation. I also think
that a point made in several entries is important--things developed
differently in musical evolution here in the States and in England,
Australia, and elsewhere, where trad had a longer shelf life as popular
music.

Charlie Suhor