[Dixielandjazz] What Killed Jazz? (Verbosity Warning!)

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Jan 10 12:32:36 PST 2007

I don't think anyone has yet hit upon the demographics of Jazz and it's
listeners, as it too has changed with all the cultural and immigration
into many countries around the globe  which often changes the
marketplace as folks move about to new and often smaller communities to
avoid life in the big cities to raise their kids in the suburbs etc,
and then watch as their kids run as fast as they can to get out of the
suburbs  and into the BIG cities where it's Happening man and to
discover a whole new world bigger than the TV screen in Pokeahopesi or
where ever.   Not to mention all the latest ideas of what is hip dumped
on them by the Big City Media moguls and major labels marketing what
THEY consider to be Music.

Money Talks, and when folks stop buying Jazz recordings in mass numbers
there is a reason for it's popularity to slide downwards, less and less
radio time, less and less TV exposure, fewer and fewer concerts and
dances, many many more radio programs, like Talk shows formats have
taken over mainstream radio, and in the USA in the AM radio world you
need to speak Spanish to listen to most of them, or like listening to
various  and sundry Religious programs which tend to steer the
listeners away from anything that is not in the "Zone" deemed
appropriate for us by the purveyors of such religious attitudes.
Heaven forbid we even think about dancing or sex or booze, the
motivation of millions for centuries all over the world.

Thou Shalt not have a good time !

Cheers,

Rev. Tom- Bob