[Dixielandjazz] Bix & ODJB Influence

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 09:56:24 PST 2007

 Marek Boym <nmboym at 012.net.il>

> And Bix started by copying Nick LaRocca of the Original Dixuekand Jazz Band,
> playing along with its records.

Yes indeed. There is an influence flow back to ODJB with all of us who play
the music today. Of course, in Bix's case, or Condon's, or any of the 2nd
Generation Jazz Players, (all dead now) they would have had to have been
heavily influenced by ODJB, if only because ODJB was on records and that's
what they listened to by default.

And since the 3rd generation jazz musicians were influenced by the 2nd
generation musos, so to is ODJB influence there, if only by osmosis.

Those OKOM players in my age bracket, 70s, are probably 4th generation jazz
players. Mostly influenced by Bix, Condon, Watters, Scobey et al. But
whether or not we like ODJB, we still in some measure, trace influence back
to them through those who preceded us.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone