[Dixielandjazz] Imitate - Assimilate - Innovate

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Tue Jan 9 14:37:18 PST 2007

I have a different thought about all this.

Each generation has their own way of doing things.

It would be truly weird if the nine or so [ 10 years each ] generations since trad
jazz was developed never did anything else but played, sang and danced  trad
jazz.  Everybody is still dancing the lindy hop, charleston and the balboa?  And
we are still singing "Boop-Boop-de-Doo"?  Nothing further came along after "The
Entertainer"?

It is not the nature of Homo Sapiens to just do one thing forever.  Maybe
Neanderthals, but not  Homos.  Trad jazz is not lost. it is still being played and
enjoyed.  It just must share the stage with a whole lot of other stuff that has
come along since then.  We are still listening to Mozart and Beethoven, just not
as frequently.  Every now and then I hear a Gregorian Chant tied into a product
commercial or a period movie.  None of these musical types ever died, they just
share time with everything else.  [ By the way, Gregorian Chants really sound good
].

Russ - don't ever stop listening to my clarinet- Guarino