[Dixielandjazz] Goodman 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 8 13:10:29 PST 2007

Dear George,
Have fun on the 16th Jan 2007.
I think it is a great idea.
I have not heard the Avid and Jasmine reissue CDs of 'The Concert", but
certainly echo Sheik's criticism of the newest Columbia. Thin and tinny. A
pain in the - ah, err - ear to listen to.
I now regret giving away the Columbia LPs and the first Columbia CD to
mates, notwithstanding the additional material on the newest Columbia.
A local mate, also dissatisfied with this Columbia, re-equalised it and took
out the surface hiss for private use. So I now have a much better copy.
I am still thinking of investing in the Avid or the Jasmine sets.
Why is it that the 'majors' do not know how to reissue the gems in their
vaults?
Witness the mess RCA made of the Jelly's, the Muggsy Spanier Ragtime Band
stuff (twice), and Columbia with the Bessie's and Louis' Hot Fives/Sevens.
Thank goodness for the dedicated private labels, like Jazz Oracle, Frog,
Timeless, Retrieval, Mosaic, JSP and Archeophone, to name just several of
the dedicated private reissue labels.
Kind regards,
Bill.