[Dixielandjazz] Goodman 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert

George Thurmond gthurmond at stx.rr.com
Mon Jan 8 08:48:12 PST 2007

            Thanks to all who responded, on and off the List, to my
wanting opinions as to the best reproductions of the Carnegie Hall
Concert recording.  I have decided to go with the Jasmine 2 CD set, and
have ordered it from Amazon for about $25, inc/postage.  But everyone
says to hang on to those old Columbia's that we've listened to and
enjoyed over all these years - you might find one's self putting them on
the turntable at times, and day-dreaming of the times and places they
were played.

            I'm really not a Big Band fan.  MKOM is the real stuff,
i.e., New Orleans, Chicago, Condon, Watters, et al.  But things were
surely swinging on that stage, with the maestro, Krupa, James, Stacey,
Hampton, Wilson, Tilton (believed to have been the last survivor of the
Concert  personnel until her demise in the past year), and all others in
their top form.

            So, come the evening of the 16th I'll have a few of my
fellow aficionados over, put the new CDs in, turn up the volume to
concert sound, and we'll sit back sipping on good single malt, and "dig
the music".  If any of you happen to be in Del Rio, Texas, drop on by -
I'm in the phone book..

George Thurmond