[Dixielandjazz] Tom Sharpsteen Has Passed

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jan 8 11:22:55 PST 2007

Dear Listmates,

I have been out of circulation for the past 7 days, without access to my
computer.  Thus, this info may have already been posted.

(snip)

Tom was a true hero to many musicians for his convictions, and
>pursuing individual path, he always made music on his terms.
>he was a genius in many fields from clarinet playing to restoring
>vintage farm equipment.
>He was dear friend a true hero.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Clint
His career includes playing with the Firehouse Five+Two; Conrad Janis plus
lead his
own band, The Orlando's.
TOM SHARPSTEEN & HIS ORLANDO'S
1:00-5:00 - Fountan Plaza
, 312
Main
New Orleans
 jazz requires a lot of innovation to keep it alive. That is not a paradox,
nor an
oxymoron, because the freedom within it has to be used to keep it flesh.
Sharpsteen and His Orlando's
 could not exist without the examples set by the
New Orleans
 musicians, nor could they ever be mistaken for anyone other that
themselves.
Sharpsteen has played clarinet for more than 60 years, and interestingly,
his style
has changed very little. He has gathered around him those musicians who most
personify
his deep heartfelt feelings for the
New Orleans
 music and musicians. The resulting sounds emanating from this band carry
you back
to old
New Orleans
 as none other playing today.
Although Sharpsteen resides in Orland,
California, and Orlando, Florida
, is an even more famous spot, he insists that the name of his band comes
from the
main character in Shakespeare's "As You Like It." We know you will like it.
Band Members::
Leader/Clarinet -
Tom Sharpsteen
String Bass -
Mike Fay
Guitar and Banjo -
Harry Lyons
Cornet -
Robert Young
Trombone -
Glenn Calkins
Drums -
Clint Baker
 (snip)

--Bob Ringwald.

(snip)
Tom Sharpsteen

mid://00000151/!cid:image002.jpg@01C72FE7.0D7A7AF0

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball
 and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life
without even considering if there is a man on base."  --Dave Barry