[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in the Classroom/memorzing solos, etc.

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Jan 7 23:42:07 PST 2007

Whenever this sort of thread comes around DJML I have to recall how I
got started playing "trad jazz." Bill Armstrong, a banjo player with
several Bay Area bands (including Turk Murphy's band at one point)
decided to form a new jazz group with students from Palo Alto High
School - this was in the early  mid 1970s. I don't exactly know how
he convinced the school officials that this would be a good thing,
but it did actually happen.

The band was called the Churchill Street Jazz Band (the location of
the school) and most of the band were high school students. The
important additions were adult musicians from other pro and semi-pro
bands. The students learned much more than the Lu Watters and Turk
Murphy charts they used - they soon played in clubs, festivals, even
a few saloons and learned how charted songs,  "head" arrangements and
improvised solos worked for a variety of jazz styles. The band played
at many of the Sacramento and other California festivals way before
there was a "Youth Band" category.

Some of the original band members went on to join the "Royal Society
Jazz Orchestra" that was then forming in San Jose, others went off to
college or other things.

I joined the group in 1978 after the first tuba player went to join
the RSJO. I was 27, not exactly a "youth" but I had not had much
experience with playing OKOM at that point. Most of what I knew then
was from high school "stage band" jazz, and playing tuba with pick-up
groups that thought "When The Saints" was a complicated song. I
learned a lot from Bill Armstrong!

Jazz is a very tricky thing to teach, but deep immersion is one very
good method...

Dave Richoux