[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in the Classroom/memorzing solos, etc.

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Jan 7 23:05:36 PST 2007

I don’t know if anyone in this strand has mentioned this with regard to
memorizing solos. I agree that in and of itself, memorizing doesn’t
help in becoming an improviser, but a kid who is attentive to nuances
of time, tone, vibrato, and phrasing while memorizing can learn a lot
about getting inside the feeling of the jazz solo and about differences
in style. (You don’t get this, of course, from reading transcriptions
of solos. And it comes through only rudimentally in section playing,
even when well taught.)

My reedman brother started out memorizing solos by Artie Shaw, Irving
Fazola, and even George Lewis and “felt” the musics deeply because he
heard and reproduced the subtleties of each. He went from there to
faking and jamming with great jazz feeling and a style of his own.

I agree that apprenticeship is best to really get off the ground, and
in my youth that was available because combo gigs were largely a matter
of guys who could fake and jam showing up to play, using a few melody
lead sheets that would help newcomers. Jamming along with recordings—no
such thing as Music Minus One the—was also a staple of our musical
training.

Also excellent, I think—and this is still possible—was the practice of
kids who were at about the same level of struggle (and were motivated)
getting together to jam. We would teach and support each other with
tolerance and diligence, sometimes using records as a model for the
tunes being learned. Once we got fluent, we could soar. I think that
this peer learning is done widely today with “garage bands” playing
rock rather than OKOM. Often this involves only a few chords, a heavy
backbeat, and earsplitting volume, but the idea of peer development is
great.

Charlie Suhor