[Dixielandjazz] Humph

Marek Boym nmboym at 012.net.il
Sun Jan 7 13:18:53 PST 2007

Last Tuesday I bought a Humphrey Lyttelto LP "Gigs."
Some of it is excellent, some not worth listening.
It all seems a matter of programming: side two starts with a sublime rendition of a Humph original "The Golden Gumboat," followed by the best version of "Happy Go Lucky Local" I've ever heard.  What follows is all very good, but rather anti-climactic after those two!
"Ah, Mersey!" on side 1, sounds twice as long as it really is, with a weird rhytm Humph describes as "a touch of 'Mersey Beat.'"  Loss of time, and indicates the greatest disadvantage of an LP as compared to CD: there's no "skip" function!  But even without that track and the percussion section of "Caribana Queen," it is still value for money, with some 50 minutes (net) of excellent music.  OKOM, but not Dixieland
Cheers