[Dixielandjazz] Music Terminology for OKOM musicians

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 5 09:15:39 PST 2007

Always a hoot, some new ones here.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

p -- piano --the neighbors have complained

f -- forte -- the neighbors are out

ff -- fortissimo -- forget about the neighbors

pp -- pianissimo -- the neighbors and the police are at the door

Obbligato -- being forced to practice

Rit/Rall -- coming to the part you haven't practiced

Con Moto -- yeah baby, I have a car with a back seat

Allegro -- a little car, no back seat

Metronome -- short, city musician who can fit into a Honda Civic

Lento -- the days leading up to Easto

Largo -- beer brewed in Germany or the Florida Keys

Piu Animato -- clean out the cat's litter box or it goes

Interval -- time to meet the other players at the bar

Perfect Interval -- when the drinks are on the house

Cantabile -- singing while drunk

Con Spirito -- playing while drunk again

Chords -- things banjoists play with one finger

Dischords -- things that banjoists play with two fingers

Suspended Chords -- things used to lynch the vocalist

Subdominant -- "I can't play unless my wife say its OK."

Snycopation -- bowel condition brought on by an overdose of drums.

Quaver -- the feeling brought on when you haven't practiced

Key Signatures -- silly things put in music to frighten you
(ignore them and they will go away -- along with your audience)

Time Signatures -- things for drummers to ignore

Colla Voce -- this shirt is so tight I can't sing

Professional -- anyone who can't hold down a steady job

Flats -- English apartments

A tempo de cafe -- Ah, coffee time!

Improvisation -- what you do during a musical train wreck

Fugue -- clever stuff

Prelude -- warm-up before the clever stuff

Acciaccatura/appoggiatura -- wood eating insects inside the double bass.

Opus -- exclamation made when Buddy's Habit was written

Virtuoso -- a musician who can work wonders with easy-play music

Melody -- an ancient now extinct art in songwriting

OKOM-- happiness