[Dixielandjazz] Guckenheimer Sour Kraut Band (spoof band)

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 10:57:12 PST 2007

Other than Spike Jones, the best spoof band in my memory was the
Guckenheimer Sour Kraut Band.
_http://www.spaceagepop.com/guck.htm_ (http://www.spaceagepop.com/guck.htm)

I recall one concert given at SF State over 40 yrs ago. It started  with a
bare stage and the muffled sound of out of tune warm ups, clarinet  squeaks,
trombone farts, crashing cymbals and musical chaos.

Then the hydraulic stage lifted up a group of pompous omm pahs. One
memorable character was the famous Grin and Bear it cartoonist George Lichty who
proudly wore his "Hero" badge. The leader was Richard Gump owner of Gump's dept
store. One of the trpt players was Darcy McDonnel, who was a puppeteer and
cartoonist as well. My friend Driver Lindsay was the euphonium player. Paul
Faria, clarinet, manager of Gump's was the manager of the band as  well.

Of interest to me were the 2 trumpet players who were totally unprepared  and
caught oiling their valves (using the old tried and true spit  method) as the
conductor Gump raised his baton.

When asked to provide a Bb tuning note, the lead trpt took out his slide  and
played wonderfully sour Bb which of course everyone proceed to  emulate in
perfect unison.

I had the chance to work with this band several times...once at the  posh
Lake Tahoe Heller estate, before it was given to the state  of Ca. What fun it
was.
Sincerely,
Art Wood