[Dixielandjazz] Post-Genre Music?

hsalotti at aol.com hsalotti at aol.com
Wed Jan 3 20:13:15 PST 2007

  There are a few groups out there who have created a unique mix of musical styles that can't be put into one category. I heard a group called Pink Martini in concert this past September. Their band is based on a Cuban jazz band of the 30's. They perform mostly original music with a strong Latin influence however some of their songs sound like old jazz standards. They can swing with the best of them. The band is fronted by a girl singer who can sing in at least four languages besides English. The band has a trumpet, trombone, cello, piano, guitar, upright bass, and three percussionists. All of the members are great improvisers including the cellist. The concert I attended was sold out at the Keswick theater near Philadelphia. The audience had a mix in ages from thirteen to seventy-five in equal amounts. This group tours all across the world. Although I wouldn't describe the band as Dixieland they have taken a very early style of jazz and breathed new life into it. If you go to Amazon.com and search for Pink Martini you can hear all of their songs (I suggest "Hang on Little Tomato"). It sounds a little like "If I Had You" and was written in the last ten years.