[Dixielandjazz] Post-Genre Music?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jan 3 11:33:57 PST 2007

On Jan 3, 2007, at 1:17 AM, tcashwigg at aol.com wrote:

> everyone keep s trying t reinvent the wheel and often forgetting our
> influences that shaped our individual interpretations of music,
>  ( often mistaken for Originality) in the endless pursuit of something
> New and totally different :))
>
> How funny that the more original it becomes the more familiar it sound
> to something we have heard before :))
>
> Music ain't nothin' but a bunch of notes, it's what you do with them
> on any given date and time that counts!!
>
> Tom Wiggins

Agreed, Tom. Some players stretch mightily to be new and totally
different and think that's the way to be "original." Tracy Cochran,
writing about sculptor Frederick Franck (summer 2006 issue of Tricycle)
nailed it: "The Lascaux cave paintings had the original quality that
Franck was looking for. 'There has been an exaggerated use of  the word
original in our culture,'  Franck said.  'I use it in the sense of
being in direct contact with our origins.' ”  Sounds like a description
of any performance when a player digs deeply, whether in OKOM, avant
garde, classical music, or polka bands.

Charlie