[Dixielandjazz] Some People Want To Dance

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 3 07:56:46 PST 2007

on 1/3/07 4:10 AM, Marek Boym at nmboym at 012.net.il wrote:

> When I attended jazz festival that had dancing floors, the bands just played
> their usual repertoire, and people (including teenagers) just danced to
> whatever the bands played!

Yes, when you play a jazz festival, or jazz Society gig, folks will dance to
whatever you play because they expect your kind of music, or OKOM. They will
dance even if there is nor dance floor. E.G.,  Wiggins et al had them
dancing to New Orleans Jazz in the aisles and in a mosh pit up front at the
Red Sea Jazz festival in Eilat Israel this past August.

But when playing a "Dance" gig, not specifically a jazz gig, to non-jazz
audiences one must be prepared to take requests and play most all dance
forms.  Important to note that the audience will dance to Dixieland thought
they may not know much about it because the beat is right for dancing.

Taking "Dance" gigs is a great way to expand the audience for Dixieland.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone