[Dixielandjazz] Handling breaks and chops

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Jan 1 22:27:05 PST 2007

Doctor Jazz has found that there are some gigs that divide up evenly into 45
minute sets with 15 minute breaks, but most don't. For weddings or bar
mitzvahs or large party events, we check with the hosts in advance to find
out what their program is, and to arrange with them when the band will break
and when we will eat. Often the customer does not think through how the
event will flow. We do this regularly, but they do not. So suggestions
offered in a helpful manner are usually appreciated.

For shorter parties and events, we tend to take shorter breaks at 30-60
minute intervals, whenever there is an appropriate time. For events under 2
hours, we often don't get a break, except to pad a little extra time between
some songs, when appropriate, filling the spot with patter. It's not always
the host's fault if we don't take a break. Last week we did a birthday party
in someone's home for extended family and friends. Good customer, paid full
price without haggling or complaining (AND gave us a nice tip!). We were
invited to eat and drink, and there was a nice catered meal. However, there
was nothing else going on, the party was only about 2 hours, and so we just
took a couple of short rests to drink something. Afterwards they asked if we
ate, and I told them a) we don't like to eat during a shorter gig and then
go right back to blowing into horns and singing, and b) the didn't pay us to
come and eat, so I was not about to take a serious chunk of time out of the
2 hours for that. There just wasn't a good time to take a long enough break
to sit and eat and digest the food before resuming the music, so we didn't.
At longer events, we can usually get a half hour break near the middle while
speeches or other programming is happening, and then we eat. Or we'll have a
couple players eat while the others play, then switch. By contrast, the week
before, we did a larger party in a restaurant for about 100 people. We
played for 3 hours. There was no program. There was a catered buffet meal,
but we were not invited to participate, and we only got drinks because the
waitresses offered them to us. We took short breaks about every hour, but
there was subtle pressure from the hostess to keep playing.

About chops, I play trumpet and tuba, and often bone too, and I sing. I find
that changing instruments is one way to give the chops a break, and to
extend playing time. Singing also gives the chops a break, though it's still
work, and doesn't contribute to resting and restoring energy for the
remainder of the job. For those without these options, having the other band
members play more solos offers some respite for the poor trumpet players,
whose chops are often the first to go. Sometimes I catch myself doing some
background noodling during another player's solo, even when I need to rest
the chops. Out of habit, if I feel a part that will contribute to the mix, I
tend to pick up the horn and start blowing. So I have to force myself to
stop playing. (We don't have a full 6-7 piece line-up. We often play with
3-4 players, so sitting out a chorus or two is not as easy as it sounds,
since it does leave holes.)

Then sometimes I just find I have to nurse my chops through some of the
songs, play lower notes, play fewer notes, drink something between songs, or
whatever else works. I have learned, especially on trumpet, that if I play
for half an hour or so earlier in the day before a gig, or make sure I play
every day for several days prior to a big gig, it helps me greatly to
prepare the chops for a tougher performance. And of course, warming up
properly is essential. In cases where I cannot or did not warm up before a
show (and shame on me for that), we play easier songs for the first set,
then take a short break, and that usually helps me to play the rest of the
show. I try not to let that happen.

Happy new year to all!

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band