[Dixielandjazz] CD Costs & Profit

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 28 13:35:39 PST 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)

> Ray, one flaw in your figures is not figuring in the cost of recording,
> mixing, mastering, art work, type setting.  Also, payment to your musicians.
>
> This can run into thousands of dollars.

Amen Bob. I pay the sidemen $1 for each CD sold in lieu of a performance fee
up front. Thus on 900 CDs sold, the 5 sidemen get a total of $4500. Plus out
of every 1000 CDs made, at least 100 are given away as promos, or used as
marketing tools, etc., which lowers the gross by another $1500. That's $6000
less in profit assuming Ray's original calculations were right.

Not to mention that at legitimate charity events (where we get paid to
perform) we rebate $5 per CD sold back to the charity as a contribution.

And if you sell CDs on  certain cruise gigs, or at certain jazz festivals,
the cruise line, or cruise booking agent, or festival producer with their
greed driven mindset often charges anywhere from 10 to 25% commission.

Who gets screwed? The performing artist. But then, what's new about that?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone