[Dixielandjazz] Paying to play was Quick reference tune list of 20 Songs inPublicDomain

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Feb 28 10:06:26 PST 2007

Actually this reminds me of an incident when I was first starting out in the
business.  I was in college and playing (about 1960)in a road house about 30
miles from nowhere.  The bar operator called me over and introduced me to
the ASCAP  rep (???) and he collected some money from me.  As I recall it
was about $10.  I talked to my agent who was connected.  He let me know that
we weren't supposed to pay this guy and that he would take care of it.  The
collection  guy was only supposed to collect from bands that were not
affiliated with the right people.  In other words it was a shake down of
"outside" musicians.  Not only did I get my money back but no one ever tried
to collect anything again.  In this case ASCAP collection was just a cover.
Watch who you pay.

If someone hires me to play I will not pay any hidden fees to anyone.  The
venue who is making money from you should pay.  That should be in your
contract somewhere so there isn't an argument about it.  I have played on TV
and they get a tune list but they take care of that as a matter of routine
business.  Now CD sales are a different matter.  If I do a CD then I am
making the money and would have no problem with it.

I have a rule - I get paid to play, I don't pay people to play.  That's
professional musician course 101.  Some guys should write this 100 times on
the blackboard.
1.I get paid to play, I don't pay people to play.
2.I get paid to play, I don't pay people to play.
3.I get paid to play, I don't pay people to play..............

You know I really have a hard time with this whole thing.  I know of no
other job description where a person or corporation who asks you to work has
the right to expect you to work for free.  Then to have to turn around and
explain to other musicians over and over the basis of any job.  work = pay,
work = pay, work = pay.  Very simple or am I not speaking English?
Larry
St. Louis